This page is for dissertation fellowships for 2016-17 (including research fellowships, dissertation completion fellowships, and other predoctoral opportunities).
See also fellowship discussions at theGradCafe: The Bank
- This is an initial post to start the page as in years past - please add calls and information!
RECENT ACTIVITY on Dissertation Fellowships 2016-2017 WikiEdit
Subscribe to RSS Feed for This Page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Dissertation_Fellowships_2016-2017?feed=rss&action=history
AAUW American Dissertation Fellowship Edit
- do we have to upload it? I just entered the confirmation code.
- I would like to confirm this, too. I uploaded a print-out of my web confirmation, but the upload disappeared (x2).
- I just got an email saying that only the confirmation code is needed. The system will upload confirmation when payment clears the bank.
- Does anybody know how important publications or community work with women are in deciding the success of an application?
- Community work is extremely important. As in, you will not get an award from AAUW without it.
- Does anyone know when we will hear back?
- It originally said we will receive notice April 15, but past years have been spotty...
- Last year we heard notice (well, the list was posted) on April 15, with alternate notifications coming several days later on 4/18
- Just wanted to say good luck to everyone! The wait is killing me, even though I'm quite sure I won't make it.
- Ditto the above. Trying not to bite my fingernails off between today and tomorrow. Anybody know the URL for the site where the list will be posted?
- I'm assuming the field that currently reads "Congratulations to AAUW's 2015-16 fellowships and grants award awardees" will be updated on the following page: http://www.aauw.org/what-we-do/educational-funding-and-awards/american-fellowships.
- Rejection received via e-mail 9 p.m. central 4/14 (boo). Congrats to the awardees. (x3, 4/14, 10 p.m.)
- Recieved notice that I am an alternate! 7pm eastern 4/14. Congrats to those awarded! Please do let us know if you are planning to turn it down! :)
- Received acceptance notice 4/14. I've already accepted a job offer for next year so alternates, don't give up hope!
- Thanks for posting this! I have hope. :)
- Make sure to check your spam folder I found my acceptance letter there :) 4/14
- Received an email that I'm an alternate on 4/14 at 10p eastern. Gmail originally categorized the email as a "promotion." Oh, gmail. (Does anyone have any idea how many alterates there are?)
- Another alternate here (4/14 @ 7 pm PDT). I've never been more disappointed to read an e-mail that started with "I am pleased to inform you...". Congrats to all the awardees and fingers crossed for all my fellow alternates!
- Waiting to find out my status as an alternate is way worse than waiting to find out if I got the fellowship! It's like the possibility became more real when I got the email that said "alternate." Ahhh...the waiting continues...
- My acceptance notification (I'm the decliner who previously posted above) said that applicants have until 5/15 to respond whether they accept or decline. I don't know if AAUW alerts alternates on a rolling basis or if they'll wait until all responses are in. Anyway, just wanted to post that in case the dates are helpful to anyone.
- Hi everyone, does anyone have a sense of how many alternates there are? Congrats to all accepted and alternates!
- no idea how many there are. How many are on here? (x2)
- I can count at least 3 or 4 on here. And one person posted that she is declining her offer. But who knows how many more there are not on the Wiki :) Scary stuff.
- Yes, I'm wondering if they keep a pretty large pool of alternates so that they can ensure awards go out to a diversity of fields, instititions, backgrounds, etc. If they just had a simple ranked list of women, then they might end up with too many folks from one field, for example. This is only my theory (I have no evidence), but I imagine they look at the whole puzzle again after seeing who turned down the fellowship and they re-jigsaw the group again. So, having a large pool of alternates to draw from allows them a lot of flexibility.
- I imagine you are exactly right. What field are y'all in? I'm in Anthropology--hopeful alternate :)
- communication (media studies)! :) (x2)
- An alternate from public health here, working on other (smaller) funding applications for next year but still holding out hope for AAUW!
- In looking at the previous years, it seems that some alternates always end up getting good news. Fingers crossed and best of luck!
- Another hopeful (!) alternate here. Majoring Architectural History.
- 05/04 Another alternate here. Still haven't heard anything, but really hoping for good news!
- Does anyone have a clue how many alternates ended up getting good news last year? This wait is killing me!
- I wish I had some idea too! There's always 2-3 from the wiki that get good news, but I don't know overall. The wait is brutal!
- The good news is that at least those who ahve posted on here appear to be in different fields. I think people offered a fellowship send in their decision on May 15th, so hopefully some time after that we will know.
- Are decisions by the accepted applicants due today, May 15th? Congratulations! (hopeful alternate)
- That seems to be the consensus. Let's hope that good news is coming and none of us have to wait long!
- One more alternate here in Ecology/Conservation Biology. I am surprised there are so many of us!
- any news? (5/19)
- Acceptee who had to decline here: I just today (5/23) recieved a formal acceptance of my decline via email. I'm guessing that it will take AAUW a few days to sort through all the responses and then decide the next steps, and begin to contact people after that. I suspect it may take some time. Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone who's still waiting to hear!
- Thanks for the update! It's helpful!
- Received acceptance notice today (6/1)! x2
- Congratulations! What is your major? Did you get an email or snailmail ? what does this "x2" mean?
- x2 means that two other people also received acceptances. Congrats to those who did!
- I'm one of the x2's! I'm in Communication Studies. Recieved an email. This round requires that the award be accepted/declined by June 15th. Best of luck to all still waiting to hear!
- I also got an acceptance on 6/1 in Ecology/Conservation. Feel lucky to have been an alternate - seems like the odds of getting bumped up were pretty good!
- Just recieved word that I was taken off the alternate list, cultural anthropology, yay! Good luck to the rest of the alternates. 6/23/16
- Any other alternates still holding out hope? (7/15/16)
- maybe a sliver of hope. I can't quite figure out why our applications remain active till September 30. That's seems really late. Maybe it has to do with fundraising and end of the fiscal year budgets? Maybe they wait to see if more funds come in so they can offer more awards? I can't quite figure it out.
- I think it is the year-end for the grants cycle (?). Here's to hoping they can offer at least two more awards!
- Honestly, I've pretty much given up hope. Not completely though, because I still check back here every few weeks for updates!
- Received acceptance on Sep 28. It asked me to accept / deny by Oct 12. Just accepted. Architectural History.
- PS. Someone deleted my previous post, so had to type again. Please do not delete other's post. It is a good reference for next year's applicants...
AERA Minority Dissertation Fellowship Program in Education Research Edit
ACLS / Mellon Dissertation Completion FellowshipsEdit
- Their website says "Notifications will be sent via email in late March 2016."
- For reference, I heard back (rejection) last year on March 10th (2/29)
- What time?
- At 1:35pm, Eastern Time (3/8)
- Thank you. I hope to hear back from them this week
- We're officially into March... anyone started checking their inboxes/spam folders with a little bit of hope? :-\
- Will be this week the week?
- If they're adhering to the same timeline as last year, ya maybe! (3/7)
- I'm pretty nervous
- For a little lightness over the next few weeks: what are y'all doing to celebrate/commiserate? Boyfriend and I are going out for ice cream regardless of the news, but expecting to have a "drowning sorrows" sundae (with gummy worms) rather than a "I got a lot of $" sundae (3/7)
- Either case, my boyfriend promissed giving me the greatest f**k ever. (x2)
- You. are. both. genius. *in awe*
- Yes, we are. That's why we deserve the fellowship :)
- My personal statement said "This fellowship will be useful as support for my innovative approach to eating ice cream and drinking wine at the same time." so, yes!^
- I'm already drinking a bottle of wine to "celebrate" my impending failure
- Unfortunately, the vast majority of applicants won't be successful, but our dissertations will! Cheer up!
- Last year, I requested to see my reviewer's comments after I didn't get it only to discover that my reviewer totally misunderstood what my diss. was about. And not in a small way. So don't take it personally :) It's a lottery.
- Speaking from experience, if the reviewer "totally misunderstood what my diss. was about" that is probably on you for not explaining it well enough. I've had similar comments before.
- ^ Sounds to me like the point was that the reviewers are reading tons and tons of applications, sometimes very quickly, and you can only hope that your project somehow speaks to your reviewer. At this point in our PhD careers we are all very practiced at writing grant applications, but even so, the decision is often completely out of our hands.
- ^ at his point I just want an answer so I can make my boyfriend take me out for ice cream AS I DESERVE
- Exactly, an answer so my boyfriend can f**k me good as I deserve!
- Any news? This is distressing
- (I wrote this this morning and someone deleted it: please don't do it again) "Nope! (3/9, 10:57am). Honestly, I wouldn't expect anything until tomorrow at the earliest. And they say they won't announce until late March so they're really not obliged to let us know for another week or two anyways."
- No news yet (3/9/16 - 10:40 a.m. CST)
- This thread is turning me on. (x3)
- Even if we don't get the fellowship, we'll always have this.
- It seems that this week won't be the week :(
- You don't think they'd do anything on a Friday?
- Who knows. Maybe tomorrow is the day.
- they frequently notify on Friday.
- That is so they can go home for the weekend after sending them out and not be inundated with phone calls.
- Fingers crossed!
- Last few years have been a Thursday, Wednesday, and a Monday... so who knows.
- I have a feeling that tomorrow is the day. OMG, this is so neurotic
- this process IRL http://i.imgur.com/NkAsxF1.gif
- Do you think that the powers-that-be read this wiki (they must be aware of it) and enjoy watching us squirm?
- Not this week, I guess!
- Tomorrow? These people are wicked...
- Everybody is quiet here, so...
- Quet before the storm...
- I actually forgot about this over the weekend, and it was nice. Now.... blech. waiting continues.
- They are taking so long this year
- Acceptance Email Received (12:15 EST), Area: Anthropology
- Acceptance Email Received (12.17 EDT), area: Philosophy
- Acceptance Email Received (12:42 EDT), area: English (totally shocked/shaking)
- Acceptance Email Received (12:18 EDT), area: Religious Studies
- Woah these are all so official looking... any other areas or is it lunch break time? God this just blew my cool...
- I assume rejections are what's coming out next then :) Congrats to those who got it!
- ^ assuming the same - at least I get my ice cream sundae now :) shout out to my boyfran for buying. HUGE congrats to those accepted as well as those of us who slogged through a hell of an application regardless of the outcome!
- Acceptance Email Received (12:19 EST), area: Art History
- Any acceptance emails for History?
- A fellow History grad student in my department got an acceptance email earlier (I didn't apply)
- Do they generally send out in batches by discipline? In years past they've gone out seemingly at random.
- I would love it if they went out randomly instead of by batch, but all that up there looks pretty conspicuous doesn't it? a bunch of areas all e-mailed within 30 minutes of one another. (3/14, 3:12pm EST)
- Any rejections/alternate?
- Nothing here (2:42 EST) (x2)
- I guess today is the winners' day - congrants to all, I am glad you made it. And my sympathies to all who went through this gruelling application process and will soon receive, like me, a rejection letter.
- Alternate email received (12:23 EDT), area: Political Science -- any thoughts on the potential for this to actually turn into a fellowship? I'm struggling to see why someone might turn down the offer... (Awarded the the fellowship on 3/23--didn't expect this so soon (or at all, really!). Best of luck to other alternates out there!)
- Some people applying for fellowships will get job offers, so they'd likely take the job over the fellowship
- See last year's thread. I got alternate status last year and did not get an award, though others did. I wrote a post telling what I know. Reapplied this year and apparently didn't get it (again) despite extensive revision and rewriting and an article...FML. Brutal. As above, congrats to the winners and more importantly, my unfortunately doubled sympathies to us rejects.
- I know, me too. I'm sorry. (x3)
- I want to drown my sorrows in 12 pounds of fudge cake, but I can't because my blood sugar is high. FML.
- You are all heroes for giving me this thread in a dark time. Retail therapy?
- Reject here. No letter yet. IMHO Mellon-ACLS is a crapshoot. Thousands of applications and 65 awards? I'm over it. Onward. (Congrats to those who received)
- What's the rate of acceptance, do we know? I mean, thousands sounds right, but I have no idea
- "Nearly 1,000 applications for 66 awards" this year, according to rejection e-mail. So 7% acceptance-ish.
- y'all, it's a victory just to have completed that application. be proud of yourself for going through the process! reject here too (no letter yet, natch) but glad I forced myself to write all that and to clarify my project to myself.
- Where are you all finding information? Did you log in to your application? No news here, but it's just a matter of time before the rejection comes in some form
- Reject received 2:19 EST
- Reject received 2:18 EST (history) (x2)
- Reject received 2:22 EST (music history). Next destination: the bar.
- Reject received 2:14 EST (anthro). Got a chapter out of the exercise, so not all is lost! congrats to recipients!
- Reject received 2:18 EST (Spanish)
- Reject received 2:10 EST, 3/15/16 (anthro). Congrats to the winners, and good luck to all of us as we move forward and complete our dissertations!
- Reject received 2:09 EST (American Studies). Oh well! Knew it wouldn't happen anyway.
- Did anyone get any feedback on their application?
American Academy in Rome, Rome PrizeEdit
- Pre-Doctoral Fellowship in Medieval Studies (x1)
- NYC interviews scheduled via phone (1/11)
- For which stream of the program?
- Yes, for which categories? (want to know if it's silly to keep hoping; I thought it was early still) (x2)
- The above edit under 'applied' suggests it was probably in Medieval Studies, but I cannot say for sure; hopefully the lucky/talented person who got contacted will write back!
- It was for Modern - at least for that stream, they consistently call on the second Monday of the year
- General question: does anyone have a rough estimate of how many people apply to each category?
American Philosophical Society Predoctoral Fellowships Edit
CAA Professional Development FellowshipEdit
CAORC Mediterranean Regional Research Fellowship Edit
- Any news? Last year's applicants were notified on 4/14. (4/17)
- Has anybody found the stats on this one? How many generally apply and get accepted? (4/17)
- I called them on the 15th to ask about this and they were having their final meetings to make decisions that day. They said they hoped to have notifications out by the end of the month...(4/18)
- Rejected, 7 awards granted (4/19)
- Selected as an alternate for Multi-Country award. No other info about numbers selected besides standard language (4/21).
CASVA Pre-Doctoral Fellowship of the National Gallery of ArtEdit
- Are interviews happening at CAA?
- My hunch is that calls for interviews are happening today (1/19). Confirmation?
- Nothing here so far. (1/19)
- I received a call requesting an interview yesterday, 1/18.
- Congratulations! I also have a friend who received an interview request yesterday. They were told this was exceptional, since it was a federal holiday. Were you told anything similar?
- No interview here- anyone know if all calls were made? Should I give up hope? (1/20-- abroad so ahead of US time)
- So far, the story is that via Wikia, we know of 2 calls having been made on 1/18. And I'm sure both of those people are now having travel arrangements made. I'd say if you don't hear from anyone by tomorrow, just await the rejection letter (1/19)
- I recieved a call for interview, also on 1/18.
- Received a call for interview on 1/18--again, I was told that this was exceptional because of the holiday.
- Rejection received via email, 1/22 x 2
- Those who had interviews: have calls gone out with offers? (2/8)
- I was told that they would be calling Tuesday or Wednesday this week--slight delay because of CAA commitments.
- Has anyone got a call from CASVA? (02/9)
- Updating to note that calls/offers were made last week (2/11)
Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation FellowshipEdit
- The website says "by March 15" this year.
- Ugh please don't make us wait that long for the first round cut
- would guess finalists will know earlier, and the march 15 is the last day for rejections? (ugh)
- Just received notice of my status as a finalist. Fingers crossed for everyone else. (2/16) x4
- "Of over 500 applications, the top 12% have been selected and forward to the final selection committee for review... 20 fellows will be chosen in this final round."
- Rejection email received (2/16) x10
- I bet everyone's LOR writers showed that they have 'confidence in your ability to accomplish important scholarly goals in your dissertation'. x6
- Considering that we are not allowed to re-apply, what use would it be to us to follow up to find out who the finalists actually were, other than to allow the WWFF to promote itself.
- I was notified of alternate status at around 3 PM today (Friday the 18th).
- Acceptance email (3/18)
- Is there a line in every LOR saying "letters from your professors attest to their confidence in your ability to produce important scholarship?"
CHATEAUBRIAND FELLOWSHIP (STEM)Edit
- applied (x4)
- Has anyone heard back yet? Or do you know when it will be announced? (5/12/16)
- I received an e-mail May 3rd asking about another fellowship - still haven't heard back.
- I received a rejection email today afternoon. (5/16)
Consortium for Faculty Diversity (Dissertation and Postdoctoral Fellowship Fellowships)Edit
DAAD Graduate Research FellowshipEdit
Dolores Liebmann FellowshipEdit
- applied (x2)
- nominated (x2)
- "Any day now" - My admin (5/23)
- Any news? The webiste says April/May, but my university hasn't heard anything.
- Nope, nothing. Based on last year's page, I think the notifications come in the mail... How crazy is that?
- rejected (x2)
- Question for those who received rejections: how did you guys find out about that -- email, mail, someone on campus?
- Emailed , but have since received the letter in the mail. I believe letters have all gone out. (x2)
Dumbarton Oaks Junior FellowshipEdit
- Due November 1, 2015
- applied (x3)
- Has anyone heard about interview invitations yet? (12/23)
- Have not heard anything from them so far (12/30), but considering they extended the deadline for letters of recommendation into early November, they might be a bit late on schedule.
- I'm assuming I probably have to give up hope on this one at this point, unless someone has different information? I haven't actually heard of anyone getting an interview, but normally they notify before Christmas...(1/13)
- Talked to a DO board member and they said there are no interviews for the Junior Fellowship... best guess for notification is mid-March (3/3) <--- Thank you for letting us know! Much appreciated (4/3)
- Did they say there are no interviews for the Junior Fellowship in Byzantine Studies too? I thought they did interview for those unlike the other two fields; any clarification welcome. <--- This person was affiliated with Pre-Columbian studies (not sure if they have different boards?) so the requriements may be different for Byzantine/Garden and Lanscape studies.
- Has anyone heard anything new since the update on 3/3? It's mid March now and still nothing! A quick google search shows this little news blurb (http://anthropology.arizona.edu/news/maclellan-receives-dumbarton-oaks-fellowship) from University of Arizona...so clearly some people have been notified and already accepted.... guess if we haven't heard yet it's time to give up hope?
- Haven't heard anything, good Google skills there. Yes it looks like a rejection if you haven't heard by now.
@having a hard time replicating the search that leads to The University of Arizona, how did you find it? Thanks.
- You can find it via "Dumbarton oaks fellowship" or "Dumbarton oaks junior fellowship 2016" though it might not be on the first page! There's also a press release from March 1 from Temple U in the results, about someone getting a junior fellowship. Sorry folks, definitely over
- Rejection received by email (04/06)
Ford Foundation Dissertation FellowshipEdit
THE APPLICATOIN PROCESS
- Due November 13, 2015
- Supplementary Materials Due January 8, 2016
- Applied (x12)
THE WAITING GAME
- About 2 weeks until we find out? (3/8/16)
- I am thinking March 24/25 or April 1/2 (3/13/16)
- ^^How do you know 2 weeks?
- 2 weeks was based on last year's notifications. I am also thinking the end of this week of the following.(3/20)
- when I applied a few years ago, we didn't hear until the end of the 1st week of April.
- Quiet in here this year! Maybe that means less competition? (3/23/16)
- One can only hope. (3/25/2016)
- Someone on grad cafe said they heard directly that FF will be sending notifications starting the end of this week (3/29/16).
- Predoctoral fellowship awards are just announced. Anyone heard from them about dissertation fellowship?
- No news here. (3/29/2016)
- No news (3/29/16)
- Just received news (I am an alternate; 3/29/16)
- What field are you an alternate for?
- Email about alternate status recieved on 3/29/16
- What field are you an alternate for?
- Alternate in Biology (3/29/16)
- Just received alternate email. Any one have an idea on what my chances are at receiving it? Good luck to all others! Is there any way that I could request to see the reviewers comments? I am thinking about applying for the post-doc one. (3/29/2016 Biomedical engineering)
- I received my comments from last year a few months after decisions were made. It's all one page, and you are rated on a scale according to various factors. Then at the bottom there is a space where they can give comments. Only one of my reviewers did so.
- There is still no news for me! So anxious! (3/29/16)
- No news here either. This is killing me! (3/29/16)
- Alternate status received 8:40pm CT (Anthropology). From my experience applying last year, they announce winners, alternates, and then go all the rejections. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
- Rejection email received (3/29, 7:50 PT)
- Strangely, there's a glaring typo on my honorable mention letter: Global Affiars in the letterhead. Almost made me doubt it was a legit email.
- me too... And I'm definitely not in that field.
- I think everyone got that letterhead. I did as well and I am Anthropology.
- If anyone has news on the postdoc fellowship, please do share. There's no thread for it. Good luck to all!
- Has anyone received any good news yet?
- 3/29 winners conacted, honorable mentions contacted.
- Postdoc winners contacted too--I received mine!
- Received alternate notification, Philosophy (3/29, 9:40 PM ET). Question: are all honorable mentions also alternates?
THE SECOND WAITING GAME -- ALTERNATES AWAIT THEIR DESTINY
- not all honorable mentions are alternates. Your letter will say alternate or honorable mention. Could everyone that got the award and plans on declining please post such info + their discipline 3/30/2016
- Good. That means the waitlist isn't absurdly long. Also, for those who may decline, don't just let us know you will, do it.
- Does anyone know the rough breakbown of alternates vs. straight up honorary mentions? What are the chances of getting bumped up?
- Honorable mention is fairly large, alternate not as large. Based on trolling the last five or so years of data on here and grad Cafe it seems like it is very possible to get bumped to winner and it also seems like each discipline has a respective wait list. Once someone declines in a specific field, the highest person on that list gets bumped. Alternates are ranked, but ford will not tell you your place on the list. 3/30/16
- My guess is that there are alternate lists for Life Sciences / Social Sciences respectively 3/31/16
- Alternate here, I spoke with someone from ford today on the phone. They were super friendly so don't hesitate to reach out to them. The person told me a few things:
- By the week of the 10th they should have a really clear idea of where the potential alternates are going. If you call and tell them your discipline, they will tell you if the section is closed. If you want to get some closure, that is one way.
- If you reply to the notification email requesting to see your reviews, they will send you your comments in a day or two.
- The past few years there have been more alternates drawn from the social sciences than from the STEM fields.
- Interesting information above, thanks for posting your findings. I had also noticed a pattern based on posts from here and GC regarding more alternates being pulled from SS. This corroborates that. Does anyone know what the deadline for winners to accept is? 3/31/16
- Anyone declining their award?
- Called today and the woman said the deadline for winners is late April. She didn't know an exact date. She also said there is only one alternate list, which didn't make much sense. She told me multiple times I would only hear back if I was chosen. 4/1/2016
- Any word on when the deadline for winners to accept is? 4/2/2016
- Anyone else think it's weird how silent the winners are in this thread? I haven't seen anything here or on GradCafé from someone who has actually received the award. Have I missed something? 04/06/2016
- I strongly doubt no one has won. I am with you though, it is odd. I figure the winners just haven't posted because they are too busy celebrating or they just never came to this site. It would be nice to hear something.
- I received this (Environmental Engineering) and we have until April 19th to reply. Best of luck to all the alternates, I can't imagine the stress/anxiety 4/8/2016
- Just called to see if my section was closed. The person on the phone said they couldn't give out any information at all and that I'd only be contacted if awarded :( Has anyone else been able to get information about alternates? 4/11/2016
- No, I've just letting hope silently wither. If anyone does have luck calling, though, I'd also be interested to hear. 4/11/2016
- 4/12/2016 - I called today and I spoke to a very terse - --borderline rude -- woman that said she could not tell me anything regarding my status and I would only hear from them if I was selected. If anyone else has luck, let us know.
- I guess this is one case where no news is bad news..
- If the 19th is the deadline to accept, it seems alternates may begin hearing soon. I'd so appreciate, dear fellow alternates, if those who hear something will let the rest of us know so that we (or, I) may put lingering hopes to bed. Good luck, everyone! 4/14/16
- 4/19/2016- Today is the deadline to accept, based on what we know. Which is 3 weeks from when we found out. I predict that our waiting game will probably be over by next Tuesday, if not sooner. Unless alternates reject the award too and more spots open up. It seems like the pattern from previous years of bumping upon rececieving the a notice of a declined award is no more. The other option is that no one on this page or GC has been bumped from alternate to winner, or reported it, and others have been bumped. Stay cheery. =)
- 4/20/2016 - called today and I was told that all awards expect 1 were accepted. So out of 36, only one is up for grabs..... I guess that is why it is so quiet... Good luck to all and I think that 1 is not in social sciences.
- 5/3/2016 - I called today to ask if indeed the fellowship was closed, however I was told that it is still open (right now don't know if this is good or bad news), would just like to know.
- 5/5/2016 Can anyone confirm the above news ^^^? The awardees and honorable mentions haven't been published yet.
Fulbright IIE Study/Research GrantsEdit
- Due October 13, 2015
- rejection via email (not recommended for further consideration), 1/15
- Semi-finalist notification (plus request for official transcripts) by email recieved on 1/15 x2
- Finalist notification (Japan) by email on Friday 3/4
- Finalist notification (Spain) by email on 3/17
- Finalist notification (Kenya) by email on Friday 4/15
Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowship Edit
- rejection via email, 1/29
- Haven't heard anything 02/03
Any news on post doc applications?
- According to a person I spoke with earlier this week, decisions will be sent out in a couple of weeks 3/3
- This was someone at the Getty, when I called to check on the status of my application. So I would imagine nothing has actually been sent out
- I had heard a rumor that acceptances had already been sent out. I haven't heard anything so assumed that just meant I wasn't in or waitlisted. Has anyone out there been accepted? 3/3
Getty Library Research Grant Edit
Harry Frank Guggenheim Fellowship Edit
- Due February 1, 2016
- Applied x6
- 3/14/16 - Received an e-mail confirming that my application is complete. "The purpose of this e-mail is to acknowledge receipt of your Dissertation Fellowship Application.Your application is complete and will be placed in the hands of our evaluators for consideration." (x2)
- I did not receive one of these second emails, just the original email after I submitted my appliation back in January. I sent an email to them yesterday asking if there was any news. Have not heard back (3/22) edit: They got back to me a day later, so 3/23
- I didn't receive a second email either. I emailed them 3/21. Got my confirmation email today 3/22. Not sure if it was because I asked for confirmation - or if it was already on its way. Seems like they might be sending out confirmation emails as they work through the apps, rather than all in one batch.
- 3/15/16 Called because I noticed that my automated email (received January 23) confirming my submission said 2015 research grant! Mild panic, but my application on log in said submitted to Dissertation Fellowship. They just called back to say it was all set (no idea what went wrong on the automated email!) but confirmed above: apps are being sent to area specialists, and the board meets in June; decisions in 2nd or 3rd week of June.
- Thanks for the very helpful recon! Ugh, I hate how late this one notifies... :-\ three more months...
- 2-3 weeks left... what a long wait!
- Rejections are out (6/16) x3
- Has anyone gotten an acceptance? (6/18)
Horowitz Fellowship Edit
- Due January 31, 2016
- Website indicates that winners will be announced June 2016.
Huntington Library Fellowship Edit
- Applied Short Term
- Due November 15, 2015
- Website indicates that letters will be sent out before 3/15
- No word yet (3/3); last year I heard by 3/5.
- Same here (3/3). To the person above, did the Huntington send an email as well, or just the physical letter?
- All notices from the Huntington are by a physical letter from Steve Hindle.
- 3/5- Rejection Letter
- Offer received on 3/14 (in London, UK)
IHR Doctoral Fellowship (Scouloudi, Thornley, RHS)Edit
- Applied x 1
- (4/27) Am wondering about the timeline for this fellowship. Applications are due today. References are due May 4th. And interviews are in May/June. Historically, does their fellowship committee meet shortly after full applications are uploaded to decide who to interview?
- (5/20) It's been almost a month since applications were submitted. No word one way or the other from them. Anyone else?
Ithaca College Pre-Doctoral Diversity FellowshipEdit
- 02/23 - Anyone heard back yet? The notification dates in past years seem all over the map.
- Campus interviews are ongoing. Invitations already sent.
- As of 3/3 no decisions made.
- Official rejection received via email (3/10)
- 3/30- Are there any updates?
- 4/01- Still waiting for an email from them.
- 2/17 Skype interview. No update since then.
Japan Foundation Japanese Studies FellowshipEdit
- Applied (x1)
- Received acceptance by snail mail, Tues 3/22. Letter said fuller info packet would come in April sometime.
Jennings Randolph Peace Scholarship Dissertation ProgramEdit
Josephine de Karman FellowshipEdit
- FWIW, last year this fellowship was announced on April 25th, rather than the stated date of April 15th.
- 4/13/16 - I just called their office and heard a recorded voicemail message saying that the committee already met, on April 9th. Those who were not contacted on April 9th should assume that they were not selected.
- 4/13/16 - I heard this recording as well... ugh. Did anyone hear back from them?
- Nope, heard nothing...not looking good.
- anyone heard anything? rejection? alternates? (do they even do alternates?)
- anyone got accepted and wants to share some insights?
- I declined this fellowship today, so hopefully it will go to an alternate soon. I received a phone call and email on 4/9 with the news of acceptance
Kress Foundation History of Art Institutional FellowshipsEdit
- Florence, Institute for Art History
- Leiden, Art Historical Institute,
- London, Courtauld Institiute of Art & Warburg Institute of Art (applied x2)
- Received acceptance from Courtauld via email on 4/4
- Munich, Central Institut for Art History
- Paris, National Institute for the History of Art (applied x1)
- Received rejection on 1/12 (rejection, 1/26)
- Rome, Bibliotheca Hertziana
Lake Institute Doctoral Dissertation FellowshipEdit
- Application form
- Executive summary
- No longer than 15 pages summarizing your topic and its relevance for the understanding of an important question(s) or issue(s) related to religion and philanthropy or faith and giving. Please write this executive summary so that scholars outside of your discipline would not have difficulty comprehending your proposal.
- Copy of the approved dissertation proposal
- Describing the proposed work, demonstrating relevance to the field of religion and philanthropy, describing source materials and their availability, commenting on any special skills or interests you have for carrying out the proposed work, and giving a clear statement of the research or scholarly methodology to be employed.
- No longer than two pages, double-spaced, indicating the major theoretical, practical and critical works that bear on your dissertation. “Selected” means you should include those works that most clearly demonstrate your command of the scholarship necessary to write the proposed dissertation. In most cases this will already be part of your proposal.
- Detailing your chapter outline, your progress to date, and your schedule for the fellowship year. It should be no longer than one page, double-spaced.
- Three letters of recommendation
- One from your dissertation director and two from faculty members familiar with your work
- Official transcript from the graduate school which will award the Ph.D. degree
- Applied (x2)
- Notifications for this one have gone out in late March in previous years
- Rejection 4/2 @ 9:30pm, email says award has gone to Kim Pendleton, a Ph.D. candidate in American Studies at The George Washington University
Louisville Institute Dissertation Fellowship Edit
- Due February 1, 2016
- Has anybody heard anything? Sounds like acceptance emails were sent around this time last year. (4/4)
- Nothing yet. I've heard the system is still emails for acceptance, snail mail for rejections. (4/6)
- Acceptance email received. (4/11)
Mabelle McLeod Lewis Memorial FundEdit
- Northern California schools only (UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz, and Stanford)
- Due December 18, 2015
- Applied (x4)
- any news?
- Has anybody received notification?
- Any body heard anything? (x8)
- Wrote coordinating person to ask when the resutls will be available; no response (as of April 22).(x2)
- still no news. The letters were sent out in the mid-April last year.
- still* no news?? (x2)
- Tried to call the program coordinator yesterday. But she did not pick up the phone.
- May 8. It seems at this point increasingly likely that the awardees were notified, and the others were not. If any awardee is reading this page, please post confirmation.
- ^or that the program has collapsed, or something has happened to the program coordinator. She was easy to get hold of earlier in the academic year. Emailed May 16th, have received no response.
- That's too bad. It is not clear whether the decision has been made or not.
- Received a response from an email to the coordinator indicating that results of the awards were already determined. Rejection. I guess many of us did not receive notice.
Marilyn Yarbrough Dissertation/Teaching Fellowship (Kenyon College)Edit
Mellon-CES Dissertation Completion Fellowship in European StudiesEdit
- Was the guy who said they got the email last Thursday just joking? I had assumed that s/he got it and the rest of us didn't and that was that. Can anyone confirm if that other post, which is now deleted, was a joke or not? Nothing on my end (4/25) EDIT: I see in the history that someone claiming to be that person said it was a joke. So it looks like we're back to not knowing anything. This is the last week of April, so presumably, we'll all find out this week.
- Nothing here either...so, we are sure that was a false alarm? (4/25)
- The person in question was clearly joking--she/he claimed to have received five awards and implied that we would now have to bribe him/her to receive one of the additional four.
- The drama in this sub is the best thing in my life. Also, I just needed to share this .
- Acceptance received, check your spam folder (4/25) x2
- Those selected - could you give a sense of what the email was like? Is there waitlist? how many Applications? How many fellowships granted? What day do you have to respond with 'yes' or 'no' by? Thanks and congratulations.
- ^ The email does not talk about a waitlist or about applications numbers. It makes no mention of total fellowships granted— it only restates the terms of the fellowship (don't take funding from elsewhere, publish in their journal, etc.). There is no specific date listed by which to reply yes or no, but the general language of the offer implies that they're expecting answers quickly. Since there seem to be waves of acceptances and it's not yet all over for everyone else, good luck! (4/26)
- I really wish people would stop joking. The pain is real. The struggle is real. x 1!!
- The pain isn't real. Statistically speaking, nobody has a good shot at winning this fellowship, given the number of applicants relative to the number of awards made. So why let the almost-inevitable rejection hurt you? It's not a comment on you, it's simply math.
- Congrats to the winners and thanks to everyone else for the entertainment!
- ATTENTION: Another round of acceptances just went out. Acceptance received. (26 April 2016, 10:35 EST)
- Rejection received 4/29 (x2)
- Has anybody else not heard anything? I am trying to decide whether I should call them...
- Any news? It is approaching THAT TIME and it appears that Mellon just issued ACLS notifications...
- Both are funded by Mellon grants, but the agencies that select CLIR and ACLS fellows are completely different.
- Anyone heard? I went through last year's wiki and saw that notifications went out around this time (3/23) last year despite the claim to April 1 notifications..
- I haven't heard a thing. So nervous right now even though it's a long shot.
- Looks like Mellon is leaving us hanging for another weekend of agony.
- Ugh! Maybe they are really waiting until April 1 then..
- Nothing here too. I don't want to wait until April 1st.
- So tmrw is April 1 and it looks like no one here has heard yet? Fingers crossed tmrw!
- Rejection received by email, 1:17PM EDT. 15 awards given out of 420 applications. (x1)
- Rejection e-mail too
- Rejection just now (12:30 CST). Blah
- Rejection email at 2.00pm today.
Metropolitan Museum of Art, Art History Fellowships
This page is for dissertation fellowships for 2017-2018 (including research fellowships, dissertation completion fellowships, and other predoctoral opportunities).
See also fellowship discussions at theGradCafe: The Bank
- This is an initial post to start the page as in years past - please add calls and information!
NEW PAGE: Dissertation Fellowships 2018-2019
RECENT ACTIVITY on Dissertation Fellowships 2017-2018 WikiEdit
Subscribe to RSS Feed for This Page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Dissertation_Fellowships_2017-2018?feed=rss&action=history
AAUW American Dissertation Fellowship Edit
- Applied (x16)
- It says it has been announced and status of apps have been sent but I didn't receive anything? Did anyone else?
- Same here.. no email. (x3)
- Announced here http://www.aauw.org/article/fellowships-and-grant-awardees/ but likewise no e-mail yet. Hopefully sometime today! (4/14 at 6:47am PST)
- I also haven't recieved an email. The website says, " For questions about your status, please email email@example.com." I sent them an email at 10:30 am EST. (x2) EDIT: Just recieved this email in reply: "Thank you so much for contacting us today about the AAUW Dissertation Fellowship. Notifications should go out by tomorrow April 15th. If you have not recieved any sort of notification by the end of the week, please email us back alterting us to the issue."
- >Recieved a rejection email. (4/14 11:45 EST) (x4)
- Received alternate email (4/14, 11:55 EST) (x4)
- Alternate for dissertation writing grant (in Sociology)
- I am an alternate for dissertation writing grant in Anthropology.
- Received acceptance (4/14, 9:07 PST), will decline
- Rejection email. (4/14 around 11:30). Best of luck to all the winners and alternates. Does anyone know when we can see who won?
- I'm an alternate too. Got the email. But for the international fellowship at the doctoral level. Any more of us international fellowship applicants out there? Best of luck to all of us alternates!
- To previous posters-any of you doc students?
- Rejection email 4/14 11:45 EST. I recieved the standard reject letter, and I believe it also stated that we would not be able to obtain any feedback. I wish they'd atleast give us feedback......
- Rejection email 4/14 at 12:45 EST. Drats. Best of luck to everyone else!
- Alright alternates, I guess the "real" wait begins now! Fingers crossed. (5/15)
- I am wondering when we will hear any news. I was looking through past years' forums, and it looks like alternates do not get a formal rejection email once September 30th has passed. Also, the range of dates that alternates are informed is quite wide. Ranging from 5/15 to 9/30. Did they provide a breakdown of how many fellowships they have issued for each award/fellowship? All I found was, "AAUW is excited to announce 250 awards and more than $3.7 million in funding for fellows and grantees in the 2017–18 award year! "
- Yes, all we can do is wait I guess. Not getting an e-mail doesn't mean anything, I guess, until September. Arg. I'm trying hard to not think about it!
- It is a terribly long wait. But at least we have one! And you never know! Let's try and stay positive!
- Any news fellow waitlisters?
- I got accepted off the waitlist on May 24th and am taking it
- To the poster above-Congratulations!!! How long did you have to notify them?
- Congratulations! Any other alternates hear any news? Still no news on my end. (7/24)
- I am waitlisted for the International Fellowship. Still waiting for any news :(
- Any news from any other waitlisted candidates?
- Still nothing here. (9/2) :(
- dıd you heard anything?
- I lost my hope:( there is no news for international fellowship.
- I've lost hope, too. The 30th is getting closer and closer. Still no news.
- Unfortunate, but the wait is over. I did not get any news so I know that I did not make it off the waitlist. Did anyone else hear anything?
- I did not hear any news either. Oh well. Our work was too good for them to fund anyways. ;P
AERA Minority Dissertation Fellowship Program in Education Research Edit
- Any news on this? (3/14/17)
Has anyone heard back? (6/1/17)
ACLS / Mellon Dissertation Completion Fellowships Edit
Deadline: October 26, 2016
Who's applying this year?
Project statement: anyone know whether page numbers in the header need to be adjusted to give a full 1" margin at the top, or whether the page numbers can be in the margin space (as headers typically are)?
Let the waiting commence!
- This wiki is so quiet this season. Glad there are at least a few of us here!
- I felt ok about this application until I read that they got over 1,000 applications last year... Arghhh!!!!!
- It's a total crapshoot, of course, but yay to all of us for even trying!
- Already counting down the days to March.
Already thinking about this!!! I think my chapter draft was a little lame (really not done by October...) but the rest of the app was pretty ok...? ARGHHH !@)*$&!@)(%*)!(
>No real use in fretting about that at this point. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ We're at the wily whim of the committee now.
- You got that right! :-)
"Notifications will be sent via email in late March 2017," so says the website...
- Has anyone heard anything yet? (3/10/17)
- Nope... I think they're going later this year (today was the notification day last year)
- Heart attacks for every email notification.
- Provisional award received 3/13 at 10:15am. Area: Philosophy
- Provisional award received 3/13 at 10:19am. Area: History. Good luck everyone!
- Provisional award received 3/13 at 10:07am. Area: Anthropology. Good luck to all waiting to hear!!
- Provisional award received 3/13 at 10:17am. Area: History. Good luck to everyone!
- Provisional award received 3/13 at 10:38 am. Area: Art History. Good luck!!
Acceptance emails are out. No idea about rejections or alternate notifications.
- Anybody know how many applications they got this year?
Has anyone received a rejection? Or anyone waitlested? idk what this silence means... No rejection yet (x7)
- I wish they'd just send everything out at once! What do they get out of leaving rejection emails til the very end? (Also, :-( )
- I heard from a professor friend at Santa Cruz that one of their students got an acceptance email this morning... its 12:05 on the west coast and I've heard nothing so I'm beginning to think acceptance emails are out :(
- Has anyone been notified of being an alternate yet? I am hopeful that despite acceptances already going out waitlists might still be on their way....
Still no waitlist or rejection email yet... 2:20pm PST March 14 (x7)
- They're probably waiting to see how many people accept?
- Yeah maybe no alternate emails this year, they'll just go down their list after people say no? More likely though is that there are just so few alternates none of them check this site.
- Rejection email received 3/15 at 9:31am EST x8
- Do the rejection emails mention how many applicants there were?
- Rejection. Happy birthday to me.
- "nearly 1,100 applications for 65 awards"
- Rejection. Seriously, fuck academia. What an absolute load of bullshit.
- Are we allowed to ask for application feedback this year?
- I would like to second this question. Has anybody asked for and received feedback on their application?
- I did. This was their response: "ACLS’s reviewing system allows evaluators to provide comments to applicants at their discretion, but providing such feedback is not a required element of the review process for this program. In your case, unfortunately, no reviewers who participated in the assessment of your application designated any comments for release to the applicant." (03/22)
- Can I just say....the email rejection letter was a little terse. Not even a "thanks for your interest in our program," nothing about how "the competition was strong and we regret that we have only 65 awards to give." C'mon ACLS, you guys need to work on your bedside manner. (3/16, but stil stinging)
- Still no waitlist or rejection email yet... 16:00 PST March 20
- Nevermind, the e-mail sent on March 15th "went awry"...rejection lol.
American Academy in Rome, Rome Prize Edit
Who's applying this year?
- Applying (x4)
- Any news of interviews yet?
American Philosophical Society Predoctoral Fellowship Edit
Boston College AADS (African and African Diaspora Studies) Dissertation FellowshipEdit
- I received a phone call from the director on 3/1 but later declined the offer for another fellowship. (3/20)
CAA Professional Development Fellowship Edit
CAORC Mediterranean Regional Research Fellowship Edit
- Applied (x2)
- Received rejection (04/07). Only 7 awards granted.
CASVA Pre-Doctoral Fellowship of the National Gallery of Art Edit
- All quiet over here... has anyone received a call yet? (1/19)
- Nope, nothing yet. Someone suggested to me that the inauguration might be obstructing schedules all over DC, but who knows. (1/19)
- Has anyone heard anything either way? It seems late to be expecting a call by this point... (1/25)
- No news on my end or for anyone I know... it does seem late...(1/25)
- Still crickets over here... anybody have better luck? (1/28)
- Nope, no news good or bad here either (1/30).
- Still nothing here (my first time to update.... with no news)... (2/1).
- Still nothing here either (first time posting) (2/2).
- I've asked around to friends in several departments (Princeton, Harvard, IFA, Hopkins, etc) and no one has heard anything to my knowledge. It's a weird year for CASVA I guess. (2/2).
- Notified of interview received on 1/28 (posting on 2/3)
- Got my rejection via email just now (2/3) -- had an interview call last year so this especially sucks. Sigh.
- Rejection received via email (2/3) - specifies my application made it to the final deliberations but was not chosen for interview
- Rejected as well (2/3), congrats and best of luck to those interviewing!
Center for Jewish History Dissertation Fellowship Edit
- The Center for Jewish History offers ten-month fellowships to doctoral candidates to support original research using the collections of the Center’s partners – American Jewish Historical Society, American Sephardi Federation, Leo Baeck Institute, Yeshiva University Museum, and YIVO Institute for Jewish Research.
- Application deadline: February 2, 2017
- Any news about this? (April 13) still waiting to hear.
- also still waiting. I heard that no letters have gone out as of Tuesday this week, but wondering if that has changed... (April 28)
Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship Edit
Last year, Finalists and Non-finalists were notified on February 16, 2016. The website says that for this round, they will notify finalists and non-finalists by March 15th.
- Feb 21 - Rejection email, was notified that not a finalist. Says that there were 500 applications this year. I didn't want your money anyway! JK tho. x8
- Feb 21 - Received email notification that I am a finalist. More than 500 apps. Top 10% (~50) were selected as finalists, and 20 of those will be chosen as fellows. Finalists have to send in official transcripts at this stage. x2
- March 22 - Email asking finalists to fill out a survey with their current contact information. Results to be delivered next week.
- March 28 - Rejection email. "Please note that it is our policy not to share reviewers’ comments with applicants, and that reapplications are not permitted." x5
- March 29 - Anyone else still waiting to hear? Yes.
- April 5 -- Received Acceptance Letter. I was an alternate. 21 fellowships awarded according to email
- How many alternates got bumped up to acceptances? I don't know. That information wasn't provided. I didn't get the impression it was a long list, however
- Is anyone choosing between the Newcombe and the ACLS/Mellon? If so which one did you pick and why? Based on the numbers, Newcombe seems more competitive and is more flexible, but ACLS provides a bit more money. Thoughts? Is there an obvious answer here? The people that I've known that had to choose between the two went with Newcombe and I'd be interested in knowing why this is the case.
CHATEAUBRIAND FELLOWSHIP (STEM and HSS) Edit
- Applied x4
- Any idea when notifications will begin?
- has anyone got a notification? - 5/15
- I haven't heard anything yet
- I emailed them and they said that the results will be announced by mid-June. I wonder why it is so late for this year...
- Is that for STEM? I looked at the website today and it said that results would be announced mid-June for HSS and mid-May for STEM.
- Sorry, it is for HSS.
- Any updates? (6/2)
- I emailed them and I got a reply that there has been a delay in the evaluations and hopefully results will be announced this week.
- Thanks for the update. This is for HSS, right? I wonder if any of you have already accepted a fellowship.
- Just got a waitlist notification for HSS (Email at 5:32pm, June 5) [Applied for an 8 month fellowship.]
- wait list notification as well for HSS -- any idea what the chances are to be moved from waitlist to recipient? [did you get waitlisted for a 4 month fellowship or an 8 month fellowship?]
- ^*Mine didn't specify -- did yours? [ same here but I assumed, maybe mistakenly, that they generally honor our requests] -- ahh, ok. Yes, i applied for 8 months (though am hoping for 4 months so I can pair with another short-term fellowship I received already
- Received HSS -- 18 recipients were chosen and are to respond by June 12th to give time for those on the waitlist
- Recejection email (for 4 months) 6/6
- Updates? (6/19) HSS
- Offered a Spring Fellowship (HSS) (6/20)
- ^congrats! Any revealing details in the offer letter for those of us still waiting?
- ^ Thank you! the email I received did not have any details about the process but I asked about my rank on the waitlist (to guage how large it was) when I first heard back and the administrator was happy to share that information. I'm 90% sure that I'm not the first person to recieve an offer from the waitlist.
- ^thanks! possible for you to let me know what "rank" on the waitlist you were?
- ^thank you! Did you get a "accept by" date? I'm still waiting for an update!
- ^They said to respond as soon as possible (I replied immediately). The fellowship agreement is supposed to come this month (July). Good luck!
Consortium for Faculty Diversity (Dissertation and Postdoctoral Fellowship Fellowships) Edit
- Has anyone heard anything? – 4/11
DAAD Graduate Research FellowshipEdit
- Acceptance received via email/portal x1 (April 3rd)
Dartmouth College Eastman/Marshall Dissertation FellowshipEdit
- Rejection received 4/5
- Also rejected 4/5
Dolores Liebmann Fellowship Edit
Applied via my institution (1/5)
- Notified as a finalist of my institution; to be forwarded to national pool (1/24)
- Program officer told me they typically notify in May/June
- Rejection received regular mail (6/19)
Dumbarton Oaks Junior Fellowship Edit
- Recieved invitation to interview (12/10)
- Accepted via email (2/9)
- Wait List via email (2/10). Any chance someone will turn down a position?
- Rejection (2/10): G&L
- Those who have heard back, which track did you apply to? Garden & Landscape, Pre-Colombian, or Byzantine?
- I'm the 2/9 acceptance: Byzantine.
- 2/10 wait list: Pre-Columbian
Emory University James Weldon Johnson Institute Visiting Fellowship for Pre-Doctoral Scholars Edit
- 4/10- any idea when we'll hear about this one?
- 4/10- received alternate notification right after I posted above x2
- 4/17 - I haven't heard anything. How were others notified?
- 4/18- I was notified via email
- 4/26- any word on whether the offers have been accepted or if the alternates are advancing?
- alternate here - haven't heard anything though the letter said we should know by early May, so hopefully we'll hear something in either direction in the next week or two. Good luck!
- good luck to you too!
- rejection after earlier alternate notification (5/5)
Ford Foundation Dissertation Fellowship Edit
Help! Is anyone getting the validation error "A Ph.D. or Sc.D. degree must be entered in your educational history" even though you've already entered that information into the education form?
- I'm having the exact same issue! Right now I've got listed my institution twice, once as saying I've earned the PhD in 2018, and again as the proposed institution for the fellowship.
- Did exactly the same as the person above
- Did it let you submit the application with that format? I put in an e-mail to the helpline, but it was right around 5pm ET today. It would be nice to be able to submit tonight rather than waiting for their response (if one even comes) tomorrow. --> Submitted this morning. The help people did e-mail early this morning saying that my education materials were validated, but this was only after I had already implemented your workaround. Thanks for helping!!
- 3/2 just want to know what's going to happen with this. From past years, it looks like we can expect updates at the very end of the month. gahhh
- 3/11 Based on some old forums, we should here back around 3/20 if they are on the same schedule as 15/16. Does anyone know how many applicants this fellowship normally gets? Good luck everyone!
- 3/15 well they give 36 awards and 200 honorable mentions or so. So I'd guess they get at least 400 applicants, probably more? I want this so bad.
- 3/21 Now is when I start obsessively checking my email....
- 3/21 Anyone hear anything yet? For both Dissertation Fellowships and Predoc Fellowships?
- 3/22 Still nothing. Fingers crossed for this weekend...
- 3/22 nothing here for pre-doctoral
- 3/22 Notifications Sent Out
- 3/22 11:30AM eastern time : received and accepted offer for dissertation fellowship. Good luck everyone!
- 3/22 alternate for dissertation - English. 600 applicants this year according to letter.
- 3/22 12:07 Eastern: rejection
- please, anyone reporting tell us your discipline, and if awarded, if you will accept or decline.
- 3/22 alternate for dissertation-ecology.
- Congrats and good luck everyone! Alternate notification rec'd for dissertation award (English) 9:11am PST. 600 applicants for 36 awards. Will let you all know if I hear anything else... (3/22)
- 3/22, alternate for dissertation, History (Latin America). If the person from history who won is reading this, I would love to know if you plan on accepting :) x 2
- Rejection for pre-doctoral; email says over 1700 apps, 65 awards.
- honorable mention for dissertation fellowship - education. congrats to the recipients! (3/22)
- 3/22 alternate for dissertation, Literature. Congrats to the recipients
- IF you got it, when do you have to accept or decline? Has anyone called for more information for alternate status? 202.334.2000 please post updates.
- Must accept/decline by April 12
- 3/22 - contacted Ford they said that it is very rare for someone to decline at the diss levels. so alternates pretty much have been rejected with honors at this point. Bitter pillbox (not just the pill) so is life.
- I Called and was told I cannot be told any information. Anyone get a different story?
Frederick Douglass Institute for African and African-American Studies Pre-doctoral FellowshipEdit
- >Applied x1
- Rejection received 4/19. for future reference, the website said notifications would be sent early March but they went out over a month later
Fulbright IIE Study/Research Grants Edit
Fulbright Hays DDRA 2017-2018 Edit
- Does anyone know whether the DDRA has first or second round cuts? Or do they announce all at the same time via our university?
- I think they just announce it once sometime Aug/Sept?
- I heard they are aiming to announce end of July early Aug this year.
- Applied x6
- July 6- All applicants are asked to reaffirm that they are seeking the grant, and did not accept a Fulbright IIE or Nehru. Must inform by July 14.
- No notice as of August 15.
- No notice as of August 23.
- No notice as of September 6.
- according to the grad cafe folks, it might be late september
- Got an informal email from our program officer that I didn't - or a few of us didnt get it. The email says official notices will go out once prospective fellows officially accept their award. .. good luck!
- According to a Fulbright Commissioner, they haven't even recieved the applications for final approval in the host countries. Also recieved a notice from the Fulbright Association that reads as follows:
- "ADVOCACY ALERT: The Senate Appropriations Committee will meet this Thursday, September 7 to consider the future of the Fulbright Program. We are calling on members of our community to write to their senators immediately, urging them to support the Fulbright Program at $250 million and to restore full funding to the Fulbright-Hays Program, which faces elimination.
- The Fulbright-Hays Program funds research and training experiences for university faculty, K-12 teachers, and others to strengthen instruction in foreign languages, cultural understanding, and international studies. The elimination of Fulbright-Hays would be a terrible loss to U.S. international education.
- Learn more here — http://bit.ly/2w3HJG5 — and use our online advocacy platform to write directly to your senators in less than 5 minutes. The platform includes a pre-populated letter, so all you have to do is hit send! Please reach out to your senators and share widely as we work to reach every senator by Thursday's committee meeting.
- We ask that you take this action even if you have already reached out to your representatives as part of our Stand For Fulbright campaign earlier this summer. Thank you for your continued support of Fulbright! #StandForFulbright"
- Received notice of award from program officer, September 7.
- Received notice from program officer of winning the grant, 9/8! X2
- 9/12 Still no word from FH. Is this a guaranteed no?
- I feel like this is hard to say because no one in my cohort was notified, so while it is possible we were all rejected, it coudl also be that our PO has yet to contact anyone who applied through our uni.
- Received rejection and comments 10/3 - scored average 89.5/105
Gaius Charles Bolin Dissertation FellowshipEdit
- Anyone have an interview?
- Found out I was not a finalist today, 2/1. (History)
- Found out I was not a finalist today. (Africana Studies) x2
Are we supposed to get interview requests by now? It's a little unclear from past years. Nothing here. (History)
- Found out I was not a finalist 2/1. (English) (x2)
For those that heard back today: Did the notification disclose the number of applicants?
How were people notified, email?
Had an interview back in mid January. Have not heard anything yet. (Environmental Studies)
- Interview in January, nothing since.
- I wonder if the winners have already been notified (x2)
- 02/17. Finalist rejection email. "Final decision had less to do with caliber of application than with the 'fit' of certain scholarly interests with our plans for staffing and the curriculum in the coming year." x4
- I wonder how many finalists there were on the "short list".
Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowship Edit
- Rejection received via email (2/7) x2
- Also received rejection e-mail (2/7). Email said they got a record number of applications this year.
- Any news on postdoc apps? I haven't heard anything yet (3/1)
- Rejection from postdoc via email (3/23)
Getty Library Research Grant Edit
- Received acceptance e-mail (1/11)
Harry Frank Guggenheim Fellowship Edit
- Applied (x2)
- Does anyone know older colleagues who applied and won this fellowship? Is this fellowship stackable with other opportuniites (ie teaching, other scholarships, etc)?
- This one really drags out. Hopefully sometime soon...
- anyone heard back from this one yet, whether accept or reject? I have not heard anything yet sofar and we are now really late in June.....i am wondering if I accidentally missed an email? (x2)
- Nothing here. I emailed last week to ask if they had an idea of when notifications would be sent, but they haven't responded to that either.
- Rejection e-mail 6/20 (x2)
Henry Luce/ACLS Dissertation Fellowship in American ArtEdit
- Listed as an alternate. (3/6)
- ^did you receive an email?
- Yes, this morning.
- Rejected via email (3/8) x2
- If anyone has information regarding when the acceptance/decline responses are due from the accepted, this alternate would be very grateful to hear it. Congratulations to all that were accepted!
Horowitz Fellowship Edit
- -Applied (x4)
- Any update? (May 17)
- Acceptance email on May 11. Deadline to decline/accept the award is May 20.
Huntington Library Fellowship Edit
- Applied x2
- Rejected 3/1
- Awarded (3/2/17)
- Applied x1
- Awarded (2/23/17)
IHR Doctoral Fellowship (Scouloudi, Thornley, RHS) Edit
Ithaca College Pre-Doctoral Diversity Fellowship Edit
- Applied X2
- Any updates on this? (03/16) (03/22)
- A professor at IC told me that they had made an offer (3/25, told to me a few weeks ago).
- Was a finalist and did a campus visit (was pretty intense/similar to TT visits done by friends on job market). Did not get the position though. Notified by dept chair after I wrote a follow up email and he checked with Dean's Office; no official rejection yet but I know the other candidate accepted so it's just a matter of time. For next year's applicants, here is the timeline:
- Feb 16: finalist notification from chair of department (asked for a writing sample, 40 min talk tailored for both faculty and students, and 3 LoRs at this point)
- Feb 28: campus visit (they were trying to do them all before Mar 3)
- included 2 dinners with faculty, numerous faculty meetings throughout the day, meeting with students, and dean/assistant dean, job talk with q&a (audience was half students, half faculty)
- Mar 27: I wrote to ask if decisions had been made. Found out on 3/29 that another candidate/dept got the offer and accepted.
- FYI Departments have finalists who are invited to visit; after visits, the departments make their case to the Dean's Office. Ultimately, it's the Dean who decides. There seems to be some tensions about how the hire happens/final decision is made.
Japan Foundation Japanese Studies Fellowship Edit
- Received request for address (Tokyo headquarters) 3/8
Jennings Randolph Peace Scholarship Dissertation Program Edit
Anyone apply or hear anything yet?
- Applied. Does no news mean rejection at this point?
- I'm not sure? But their website says we should have news this week. I think it's a bit early to definitively say that silence is rejection. That's what I'm hoping anyways...
- 12/115 accepted.
Josephine de Karman Fellowship Edit
- Anybody know when they notify?
- Not yet (4/15)
- Not yet. (4/15)
- Not yet (4/18). Anybody hear from them?
- Their website says approx. April 15 (2/20)
- Previous years' wikis show that the committee meets a final time on a Saturday (and April 15 is a Saturday this year...), and that winners are notified by both phone and e-mail on that day.
- I called recently (trying to get confirmation of receipt of application) and the recording said they'll be meeting on the 22nd.
- Good to know. Thanks for the update! (3/24)
- Any news?
- Anyone heard anything?
- silence... (4/22; 4pm PDT) -- nothing here too (4/22, 7.30pm EST)
- probably those who are accepted do not follow here. this one is over, i guess.
- Still nothing (4/23, 12pm PDT)
- Haven't heard anything 4/24 9:20 EST. I doubt they sent out notifications on a weekend.- based on previous years' wiki, they send out notificatjons on saturdays.
- Yeah nothing here yet, 4/24
- idk why my comment above is deleted but here it is again: i called and the recording said that the foundation would meet on april 22nd and successful applicants would receive a phone call on that day and if you did not get a phone call or email on april 22nd, you should assume that you application was not selected. hope this helps.
- Still nothing over here, 5/4. Anybody?
- Rejection, (5/1), in reply to email inquiry about status of application.
- An update: Rejection (5/16). I called to ask for any updates, and she told me that they're still trying to get emails out, but that if I hadn't received any acceptance email so far, it meant I had NOT been selected. Very polite.
Kress Foundation History of Art Institutional Fellowships Edit
Lake Institute Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship Edit
Louisville Institute Dissertation Fellowship Edit
- Committee meets around beginning of April. Winners will be notified via email, rejections sent out via snail mail.
- Has anyone heard anything at this point? (4/7)
- Denial received snail mail, 103 applicants (4/8) congrats to those who are awarded it
Mabelle McLeod Lewis Memorial Fund Edit
- Received acceptance e-mail 4/10. E-mail says that official offer letter will be mailed next week.
- Same here. To poster above, have you received said letter yet?
- No, I've received nothing yet, despite having sent two e-mails and left a voicemail for the contact person. I have a friend who also applied who didn't get a rejection e-mail from them until May 10th, so it seems like they are moving very slowly. I will post here if I hear anything back from the contact person, and I'd appreciate it if you would also post if you find out anything or if your letter arrives.
- Thanks for the response! I have also sent multiple emails and left multiple voicemails, and was beginning to get worried. I suppose there is nothing more we can do for the moment, but I will post on here as soon as I hear anything at all from them.
- Chiming in here as a 3rd person who received an acceptance email on 4/10. Have had some intermittent communication with the contact person, who most recently wrote on 6/15 to say that Wells Fargo was preparing the offer letters. 10 days later, still no news...
- 8/2 Now a month and a half has passed since the offer letters were supposedly being prepared. I assume that neither of you has heard anything either?
- 8/16 Received an e-mail from the contact person letting me know that she had received my offer letter from Wells Fargo on Friday 8/11, but they made a mistake in the letter (listing my university as UC Berkeley instead of UC Davis), so it would need to be rewritten. She said that she had already informed Wells Fargo and that "a revised letter will be sent soon." Have either of you received your letters?
- 8/18 Received award letter and other documents via e-mail. Award must be accepted by August 31st.
Marilyn Yarbrough Dissertation/Teaching Fellowship (Kenyon College) Edit
Has anyone gotten an interview or offer?
- I had a Skype interview yesterday. There will also be flyouts. 
- Does anyone know if they send all of the rejections at the same time? I haven't received one yet and no interview request on my end either, which I assume would've happened by now (2/8)
- Flyouts scheduled. (2/13)
- To the person above. Do you know if all of them have been scheduled? (2/13)
- I suspect so, but don't know.
- Had Skype interview, but did not receive campus visit, and was rejected today 3/6/17. "I regret to inform you, however, that we have made a job offer and it has been accepted." Congrats to the recipient!
- Invited for skype interview on 1/27/2017. Skype interview 2/7. Campus visits scheduled 3/13. Visited campus 3/1/17 (final canddiate flyout). Job offered on 3/10/17.
Mellon-CES Dissertation Completion Fellowship in European Studies Edit
- Last year, decisions were email between 4/25-29. This year, the website indicates applicants will be notified "no later than the end of April."
- In the couple years prior to last year, looks like acceptances went out as early as between 3/28 and 4/3. So it might not be that much longer after all. (3/22)
- Any news? (4/12) <--- silence so far, for me... x3
- In other years, people didn't begin to hear anything until 4/25 (4/12)
- I hate the waiting. But on the other hand, the application deadline for this grant is so much later than many others, that its waiting time is relatively short. Gotta give 'em credit for something! :-) (4/12)
- Acceptance email received (4/19). Will be accepting the grant.
- Congratulations! In previous years, it looks like acceptances have gone out on (at least) two different days, so hopefully there will be another round shortly. (4/19)
- Yes received. Will likely be declining because luckily got something else. (4/19) Update: declined fellowship and they told me they will be selecting an alternate. (4/26)
- No news here yet; congrats to those who were offered awards! Hoping for the next round(s) soon. (4/24)
- Has anyone heard anything, rejections or alternates? (5/1)
- Just got the rejection email. (5/1) x4
- 5/10. No news for me, still. Am I the only one still waiting to hear from them? Has anybody emailed them and gotten a response? I emailed last week but haven't heard back, so I'm reluctant to bother them again, but I'm puzzled by the silence.
Any news yet?
- Last year it seems that applicants heard back at the end of March/beginning of April. The wait is really long...
- It is indeed:( In last years' posts, I saw that they announce the offers sometime during early March and the rejections later before April 1, and wanted to see if any notifications are out yet.
- It said in the e-mail I recieved when I submitted my application that we would hear "on April 3." That seemed oddly specific, but I'm not really holding out hope that news will come before then.
- A friend who applied last year got her rejection on March 31.
- Waiting...waiting...waiting...waiting (3/14)
- Since April 3 is Monday, I think they can announce it in the last week of March. Also, offers generally come earlier, so I guess the critical time is between March 20 - 31. (3/14)
- Anyone know how many applicants applied last year and how many awards were given out?
- around 450 applicants and 15 recepients
- Any new news yet? (3/21)
- No... Waiting is so brutal. I hope acceptance emails have not been sent yet (3/21)
- Everytime I see someone has posted I freak out and think that the news has finally arrived. But nay, nay. (3/21)
- me too! but the thing is that if the awards have been sent we can never know it because of the policy. Is March 21 too late for any good news?
- At least one successful applicant in a previous wiki (2015/16???) told the group when they received their acceptance. We can hope for the same. That was on 3/25 I think. Maybe there's a bit of hope left? (3/21)
- Acceptance email received (March 22). Offers to be announced over the coming week. X2
- what time did they send the acceptance emails?
- Why are offers to be announced over the coming week? Is that to hedge for those who decline (unlikely)? Sob. Is it over?
- I think it is public announcement. Yes, it is over :(
Metropolitan Museum of Art, Art History Fellowships Edit
- Rejection received via email (2/10) x 3
- Accepted via email (2/10) x 1
- As of 2/8/2018 - "2/10" has not passed and this information must be from last year?
Miller Center for Politics and History (UVA) Edit
This has moved to a center at UVA and is now called the National Fellowship Program at the Jefferson Scholars Foundation (see here )
- - Does anyone know what the letter of rec instructions are? I can't imagine submitting this very far ahead of the deadline and instructions for letters of rec aren't E-mailed to recommenders until the student submits their whole application. I saw this on the website, "The letter of recommendation should be sent as a PDF attachment to the Jefferson Scholars Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org<" but am wondering if there are other specifics. Thanks!
- Rejection, 3/27.
MIT SHASS Diversity Predoctoral FellowshipEdit
- 3/27 any updates?
- 3/27 No updates yet. Since the deadline was originally Feb. 15 and got extended to March 1, I think it will take at least another month until we hear from them
- 3/29 - it seems odd to me that the deadline got pushed. Wonder why? Anyone know how many got it last year? Also, it is very late in the game to find out in May, that seems odd. I wonder if people pull their apps if they get other things.
- 3/29- their application requirements weren't posted until early/mid January, so I think they pushed the deadline because they didn't receive enough applications by February 15
- 4/6 -- Still no news here, anyone get anything? What can be done to not go crazy waiting? I am asking for a friend. =)
- 4/7- haven't heard anything yet either. also trying not to go crazy, you're not alone!
- 4/14 - Still no news! We will get through this!!
- 4/19- news, anyone?
- 4/19- nothing here. Well if only the people here applied, we all got it. Congratulations!
- do we know how they will notify? emails or phone calls like josephine de karman does?
- 4/19- last year they emailed
Acceptances sent out -- 4/20/2017
- 4/20- acceptance received via email
- yes, I've already accepted
- 4/20 Congratulations. When did you receive acceptance email? Anyone who received a rejection or a waitlist?
- My guess is that those that did not get accepted today, will probably be rejected or waitlist tomorrow if not later today.
- thanks. 9:45 AM EST
- 4/20 received my acceptance via email at 9:47 AM EST. I've already accepted another fellowship and will decline, fyi.
- What is your deadline to accept? I wonder if they will take less than 7 people, or if they will have a waitlist to draw from?
- they didn't give us a strict deadline to accept but the letter said to let them know "at our earliest convenience" or something along those lines
- Has anyone received a rejection? I have not heard anything yet, I wonder if this means I am on a waitlist. And I second the question above, what is the deadline to accept?
- what should we assume if we have not received a rejection yet?
- It doesn't seem like anyone has been rejected yet. So I am not sure. I was hoping it meant we were waitlisted, but it might just mean that we are waiting to be rejected. They might not have an outright waitlist. They might just test the waters and see who accepts, and based on that reach out to people. After a few weeks they might finally reject everyone else. Not sure.
- 5/12- still no news here. Not sure what MIT is up to.
- 5/17- no news so far. Did it take this long last year?
- 5/16- last year the deadline was on may 1st.
- 5/17- well the weird thing is that two people above claim they got accepted, about a month ago. Everyone else hasn't gotten any word.
- 5/17- the dean's office sent acceptances but HR hasn't sent recipients the paperwork, so they might be waiting to get everything officially signed before sending rejections
- 5/17- anyone tried contacting them? i'm afraid of what i might receive as an answer so i havent :)
- I think it is safe to assume that if we didn't get notified by now, we didn't get it. I wish MIT would notify a wait list, because you can put that on your cv. Making everyone wait is painful, and we can't record it as an achievement.
- 5/18- rejection email received.
- 5/18- same here, to those who get it, congrats!
NAEd/Spencer Dissertation Fellowship Program Edit
- Deadline October 6, 2016 at 5 pm EST.
- Applied x3
- Q: there are first and second round notifications for the Spencer Dissertation Fellowship, correct? can anyone shed light on when first round cuts might be made?
- I believe they cut the total group down to a smaller group in March, and notify people then. In the past they have made their final notifications after AERA. FWIW, I just noticed a bad typo in my application, so that's one less person you'll have to compete with!
- Thanks for the reply! Jeez 6-8 months is a LONG review period. And I feel your pain on the typos, let's hope overall package > individual typos.
- Was able to sign into my application portal, status is listed as "Drafting." (2/7)
- Update -- I'm the same person as above -- my status in my application portal has shifted to "Submitted." No clue what this means, if anything! (2/10)
- I'm unable to log into my portal. Looks like all the links to apply have been removed. (2/13)
- This is what I've been told regarding the review process: all apps are read by a single reviewer and given a yes/no, and making it past that first screening seems to be a bit of a wildcard. I was told by faculty that great proposals get reject off the bat, and very mediocre ones can get through, simply based on the single reviewer. However, once the field is narrowed, the entire committee looks and the process is much more stringent. Seems like the winenrs are definitely the best of that narrowed group, but great proposlas don't always get to the full review ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- Whaat?! Thanks for sharing, but UGH. If this is indeed the process, I have very little confidence! Most major fellowship applications at least have 2-3 faculty reading each application so they can check one another. Do you know how many finalists they choose?
- Got an email at 9:54am CST that I am one of 65 semi-finalists! (2/22/17)
- Semi-finalist notifications went out this morning! (2/22/17) They narrowed about 350 applications down to 65. 35 will receive awards -- final decisions coming in May!
- Rejection email (2/22/17)
- I am a semi-finalist! Any tips for the final round? (2/22/17)
- Me too! Not sure I have much to share in terms of tips. Submit the budget & timeline revisions, and hope for the best at the full committee meeting in May! A little over half of semi-finalists will receive awards, so the odds are good.
- how should the budget be formatted? (3/04/17)